A Blank Book

1:27 PM


Another year has come to an end and a new year has taken its place. Today is a fresh start, the first page of a blank book. For the first time ever, I am not sad to say goodbye to 2017. True, it was undoubtedly the best year ever--I got engaged, married, I graduated, my friendships grew stronger.... Memories were made. Yet the same year that filled my heart with so much joy also broke my heart. Loss has a way of blindsiding you--and that's also what 2017 brought. 2017 hurt people I love, and that in turn hurt me. My very best friend--the person who was like a big sister to me--had to move halfway across the country. And while I've learned that growing up means having to say goodbye, it doesn't make goodbyes any easier.

So good riddance, 2017. I'm more than ready to be done with you and see what 2018 has in store. You taught me so much, 2017. And while I may not be happy with the methods you have of teaching me, I am truly stronger and grateful for what I've learned. 

As for you, 2018, I have a million and one things that I want to do and be better at this year. But instead of writing them all down, I'm going to stick with my tradition of choosing one word for the year. It wasn't nearly as hard to know what I want to focus on.

Veracity is my one word. Veracity... because I want to be in the habit of being honest with myself and with others. 2017 taught me the value of honesty. I know the sinking feel of knowing someone is telling you a lie. I know how keeping your feelings inside can eat you alive. So for 2018, my goal is to be an authentic, transparent person. As Philippians 4:8 says, "Whatever is true ..... think on these things."

Looking at the following photos make me smile. Most of them are very poorly taken, but they hold memories that remind me how blessed I am. 2017 may have been a roller-coaster of a year, but it will be a year that I know is going to stand out in my memory. I guess you could say I grew up in 2017. Even more than that, 2017 helped me find out who I am--or want to be--in this crazy world. It was a year of transformation. I still have so much to figure out, but I can honestly say that I broke out of the cocoon and opened my wings for the first time.

2018, get ready for me to take flight.


//engagement photots//

//nursing finals//

//honeymoon road trip//

//honeymoon road trip//

//wedding day//

//wedding day cake-cutting//

//wedding photos in the rain//

//our first home//

//baking in my own kitchen//

//graduation//

//Ben (hubby) surprised my with my favorite place to eat//




What are some of your favorite memories? Any goals for 2018?

Emily 
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I love your word for 2018! It reminds me of Carrie Fisher and how honest and open - not hurtful or mean - she was especially with her words and speaking up. I hope 2018 helps you to express yourself! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, finding the balance of being truthful AND kind is sometimes hard :) Definitely something for me to work on as well.

      ~Emily

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a great 2017! And wishing you happiness for 2018! That's a great word for the year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read and reply to each one!

All content belongs to me, Emily, unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.