Plans Change


I'm going back to school.

I'm going back to school for nursing.

If you would have told me this five years ago, my mouth would have dropped to the floor. Back then, I thought that if I went to college, I would go for writing. That was my passion, so duh, I was going to get a degree and write books and be rich. The end.

Then I got old (not really) and decided that I didn't want to go to college, because I just wanted to get married and why waste a ton of money on school if I wasn't going to use my education? After I thought about it and talked about it with my parents, I realized that it would be a good move to have some sort of trade -- what happens if I don't get married, or if I do but my husband dies? Besides, I didn't want to just sit around and twiddle my thumbs until Prince Charming shows up (he could be lost and too stubborn to ask for directions, so I could be waiting awhile).

I went to a local college for a one year certificate program and became a registered medical assistant, which was a mix of medical and office work. I loved the medical stuff, but the office work.... not so much. I ended up working at a preschool -- which is where I will continue to sub until I graduate.

No doubt about it, this was a tough decision to make. I absolutely love working at my preschool -- but I also love anything medical and taking care of sick people. Nursing has been at the back of my mind for a few years now, I've just been scared to take the plunge. There has been plenty of praying and talking and crying about this. It's going to be tough. But I can do it if I really focus. One of my best friends told me that nursing is one of those things that you have to just jump in and commit to -- otherwise you'll always second guess about whether it's right or not.

Quote: "And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it." Lesson to learn: The secret to accomplishing great things at work is to love what you do. Keep taking the steps that will get you closer to a career you love.

So I jumped. And I'm scared. Sometimes I'm terrified. But I'm also happy. And excited. So excited. I'm also amazed at how much plans change. I never would have dreamed that I would ever want to be a nurse. I thought I would do something artsy. But there's a beauty about nursing -- you're dealing with human lives when they are at their most vulnerable and needy. I'll have the opportunity to make a huge impact of people's lives. It's definitely going to be an adventure.


What adventures have you jumped into?

Emily
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS! That is a huge decision. I wish you all the best.

    Living life to the fullest often requires some pretty big leaps of faith. I'm moving from the USA to Wales this September to attend uni and I am terrified. Excited beyond measure, but still absolutely terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is amazing! You are so brave to just go for it, good for you! I'm so happy for you! I'll keep you in my prayers as you get stated! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read and reply to each one!

All content belongs to me, Emily, unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.