Hiding Behind Silence


I always believed in keeping quiet.

The opening line of Katy Perry's song Roar described me perfectly: I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath / Scared to rock the boat and make a mess / So I'd sit quietly / Agree politely.

I told myself that diplomacy and peace were more important than anything. I certainly didn't want to be considered a troublemaker.

And to a certain extent, I was right. We are called to be peaceful, and there are times when we should hold our tongues.

But I was hiding behind that.

Using excuses because Oh no, what if people think I'm a troublemaker? I want people to like me.

I still want people to like me. I still don't want to be a troublemaker. But I've come to realize something.

Silence can be more deadly than words.

Not speaking the truth can hurt more people than the actual truth.



Finding a balance between shutting up and speaking out is a battle. Not to mention knowing how to say something without starting a war. 

It's always better to stand for what you believe in. Because otherwise, you're a hypocrite. Evil will triumph when truth is silenced. I pray for discernment, for wisdom. Also, for courage. Courage to speak up, but especially for the courage to stay quiet when necessary; sometimes, we have to pick our battles.


So here's to stepping out in faith, to truly believing 2 Timothy 1:7: "God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and love, and of a sound mind." Here's to being the light and spreading the truth. Here's to not hiding.


Emily 
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Good word! And I love that you quoted the Patriot. Such a good film!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read and reply to each one!

All content belongs to me, Emily, unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.