Beautiful People // An Old Edition



After a far-too-long break from writing, I am back at it! Kind of. I'm linking up with an old Beautiful People as I focus on my newest novel, The Scars We Choose. This book has a special place in my heart because 1) I love psychology and 2) this book is from the perspective of a nurse. I've always wanted to write a medical type story since I'm a total medical geek. TSWC is going to be one of the heaviest, most emotional books I've ever written, which makes me nervous (because I'm normally a happy person, y'all). To help me with that, I'm going to try writing this story by hand, because that always makes my take my time and put more emotion into my work.




1. Give a brief overview of their looks. (Include a photo if you want!)
Close your eyes and picture the most stereotypical jock you can think of. That's Alex. Tall, tan, broad shoulders, huge biceps. His chiseled jaw has just the beginning of whiskers. When he's focused on something, creases appear on Alex's forehead because he squints his pale blue-gray eyes. On shaking his hand six months ago, you would have noticed a firm grasp and confident posture. Now, the grasp is a tentative one, and the straight posture appears tense. 

2. Share a snippet that involves description of their appearance.

"So this was the difficult patient. This was the drop-dead gorgeous hunk who was, unfortunately, crazy. I ignored the disgust I felt in my stomach as I remembered the way my coworkers described him. I knocked on the door frame and announced that I was entering. "I heard your call bell. What can I do for you?"
     I was met with pale blue-gray eyes, darkened by circles at the corners. When was the last time he slept?
     "I-- I dropped a vase. I'm so sorry. I'll clean it up, I just need the cleaning supplies." His shaky voice didn't match his stiff posture.
     "I'll get the supplies, and I'll gladly clean it for you." My voice didn't sound like my own. 
     "Please." His voice faded away into the dimness of the room. "I need to."
     Of course he did. It was a matter of self-worth. I'd seen his broken attitude before in another clean-shaven soldier with a shaved head.
     He caught my hesitation and gave a forced smile. If it could be called a smile. "Oh. I'm not allowed to do it myself." His pale eyes were soft, not mocking. "Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt myself with the broken pieces." His chuckle caught me off guard. "It would be kind of poetic, though--a broken soldier using a broken vase to end it all. I--"
     I knew by the look on his face that mine had revealed something. Something that I had hoped to avoid by never coming into this room. Something that I wanted to forget. Something that, judging by the look in those pale eyes, he recognized.
     My voice sounded as cold as I felt when I finally choked out words. "I'll get someone to clean this up."

3. What is the first thing people might notice about them?
The first thing noticed is usually Alex's smile. It's a rare thing to see his smile anymore, but when he does smile, it's contagious and shining. 

4. What are their unique features? (Ex: freckles, big ears, birthmarks, scars, etc.)
Strangers often describe Alex as "the hot soldier with the ridiculously white teeth." His smile seems to literally sparkle.

5. How tall are they? What is their build? (Ex: stocky, slender, petite, etc.)
Alex's medical record says 6'2" but he thinks he is really only 6'0" (he really is 6'2"). Years of working out have made his naturally muscular body even more sculpted. 

❤️❤️ Scott Eastwood❤️❤️: 6. What is their posture like? How do they usually carry themselves?
Alex has model posture. He was taught to sit up straight and stand at attention in the military. Instead of looking confident, he just looks stiff and uncomfortable now. Alex is always on the defensive, waiting for something to go wrong, and it's evident in the way he stands like he's bracing himself.

7. You character has been seen on a "lazy day" (free from usual routine/expectations): what are they wearing and how do they look?
On a lazy day, Alex can be seen wearing his usual army green shirt with a pair of Levi jeans. Of course, he still has on his dog tags and military boots. He totally forgets about shaving on lazy days, and his five o'clock shadow is a little scruffier than usual.

8. Do they wear glasses, accessories, or jewelry on a regular basis? Do they have any article of clothing or accessory that could be considered their trademark?
Alex never takes his dog tags off. Never. He holds on to them like a sort of rosary. Everyone at the hospital considers Alex's combat boots his trademark. He always wears his boots because he says they're more comfortable than any other shoe.

9. Have they ever been bullied or shamed because of their looks? Explain! 
Alex was born with exceptionally good looks -- great bone structure, classic features, muscles... Because of that, the men in his unit teased him about being a "pretty boy."

10. Are they happy with how they look? If they could change anything about their appearance, what would it be? 
Definitely. Alex loves the way he looks. He knows that he's healthy, and he's never had a problem getting a girlfriend. The only thing Alex would change is that he wishes he had more wounds -- the kind on the outside, instead of inside where they hurt the most. Alex feels guilty that his looks are intact while others are burnt and missing limbs.


How is your writing going? Any new projects that you are excited about?


Emily
xoxo

No comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read and reply to each one!

All content belongs to me, Emily, unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.