Beautiful People :: May Edition (in June)

Tuesday, June 2, 2015





Hello there! I know that this is a little late, but I figure that it's better late than never. Right? Right. The point is that I finally got this posted. Let's just be happy with that.

May's edition of Beautiful People (hosted by Cait and Sky) had 10 random questions. It really got me thinking about my character (as always) and gave me the breakthrough that I have been waiting on for nearly three weeks (my writing buddy--who happens to be my cousin--will attest to that).  Three weeks is a long time to go without writing, people! But now I have enough inspiration to make sentences again. So I'm happy.

It took me a few days to decide which character to feature for this... er... last month's questions. I finally decided on Maverick Adams from my novel Beginning of the End. I originally couldn't stand this character because he was such a pain in the neck. He's now one of my favorite characters. Isn't writing a mysterious thing?


So here is my once-hated-now-loved Maverick.


Colton Haynes in Abercrombie & Fitch's Spring 2014 "Making of a Star" campaign
{via}





1. Do they get nightmares? If so, why or what of?
The one thing that haunts Maverick is the day his parents were killed. Usually something triggers the nightmares, whether it's a battle or a phrase that his dad used to say. He sees it so clearly: the bombs fall and a cloud of dust envelopes his parents. Then he wakes up and has to relive the pain all over again.

2. What is their biggest guilty pleasure/secret shame?
Maverick hates that he has nightmares about his parents. He doesn't want anyone to know that he still isn't over his parent's deaths--because that means he's weak. Any show of his soft-side embarrasses Maverick. He has a tough image to portray, after all.

3. Are they easily persuaded or do they need more proof?
It really depends on what is at stake. But for the most part, Maverick needs proof. He gets more stubborn every day. Sometimes he's stubborn just to be stubborn and annoy people.

4. Do they suffer from any phobias? Does it affect their life in a big way?
Yes, he does. Bombs have filled Maverick with dread ever since his parents were killed. If Maverick hears the whistling of a falling bomb, he freezes. That can be deadly when he's in combat.

5. What do they consider their "Achilles heel"?
Maverick knows that his parents are gone, but they are still his weakness. Nothing can get to Maverick more than something that has to do with his parents. If you want to get to Maverick, bring up his past. It will work every time.

6. How do they handle a crisis?
With a cool head. Others might panic, but Maverick thrives in emergencies. He sees the wisest decision and steps up to what needs done when no one else will.

7. Do they have a temper?
{via}
Oh, yes. Oh my my, yes. Get in his way and he will tear your head off. It might be something simple, like a glance that Maverick doesn't like--you never know what will set him off. First his face turns red and his jaw tightens. That's your cue to leave.

8. What are their core values and/or religious beliefs?
He isn't sure what he believes. His father always taught him to put others first, but Maverick cares a little too much about himself to be sacrificial--unless it benefits him. Sometimes when there's quiet, Maverick thinks about his feelings and beliefs. He usually walks away without figuring anything out.

9. What things do they value most in life?
His most prized material possession is the outfit he wore when his parents were killed. It's the only thing he has from his old life, and it makes him feel closer to his parents. What he values most, though, is his aunt, who raised him when he was orphaned. Next comes the Kearney--and his position in the Kearney.

10. What is one major event that helped shape who they are?
Obviously the death of his parents changed Maverick forever. He was sent to live with his aunt in the rebel camp and was befriended by Riley. Then his fighting skills and intelligence were noticed and he was offered a spot in an elite fighting group. None of that would have happened if Maverick's parents were still living. It also made him a little more cynical than his friends.

                                                                         ~~~~~~~~


Did anyone else do Beautiful People in May? Anyone planning on joining up for June?

~Emily
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I feel bad for Maverick! Much of his life or issues all seem to stem from his parents death alone, that must be hard.

    I didn't do May's Beautiful People challenge but I might do June's...I'm so happy to see a blog post from you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the more I write about him, the more I realize that everything about him goes back to that one moment in his life.

      Do June's questions! I would love to read it!

      Thanks :D

      ~Emily

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)