Just Write + Excerpts

11:20 PM



My novel continues to flow quite nicely. Don't get me wrong, I still have moments where I stare at the screen and wonder what in the world I'm doing. But last week, I tried something new. Something so simple and yet so hard.

I just sat down and wrote.

Your loved ones know when you’re in a “writing” mood. | Community Post: 20 Signs That You're A Writer
{via}

Any writer will tell you that the key to writing is, well, writing. I, however, always chose to ignore that little nugget of wisdom. I must have thought that I was different. Wrong! Too much of my time was wasted outlining (not that outlining is a waste of time... but my outlines rarely change. really, I think I just like to make lists). Seriously, if I spent as much time actually writing as I did planning, I would have ten novels done by now.

Anywho, I finally got tired of planning and sat down at my computer. My fingers hovered over the keyboard as I squinted at the screen. Who cares if it isn't perfect? I asked myself. What's important is getting my ideas down. After I do that, then I can write as many drafts as I need. So I forced myself to write. It was hard at first. But then I stopped overthinking and soon, what I was writing wasn't coming from my mind--it was coming from deep inside me. And I think that is the best kind of writing.




.
{via}
 “Tell me you didn’t.”
Erik’s jaw flinches. Whatever Vince is getting at must hit a nerve.
“You used your own cousin as bait.” The quiet words sound like a gunshot in my ear. “You had me announce that Seth and Brynn were bringing new rifles later on, in hopes that the spy would make a move and we could find out if the traitor is in the Kearney. Didn’t you?”
“It wasn’t supposed to end this this.” Erik turns from the window. His look could kill. But it’s nothing compared to Vince’s face.
“You—” Vince jumps at Erik and pins him against the wall. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t slug you right now.” His voice is harsher than I’ve ever heard it.
“You really don’t want to do this, Vince,” Erik says through his teeth.
“She’s only sixteen! Your own cousin! She could have been killed. And what about Seth?”
Erik looks at the floor. “I did what I had to do.” He looks back at Vince. “It was a hard decision to make. You think it was easy risking her? It wasn’t. But I had to narrow down the suspects. And now I have.”
I watch Erik closely; he won’t look at me. He’s on the defense, but I also see shame in his face. Tears start to sting my eyes as what he did sinks in. He used me. Me. Just to find out who the spy was. If he had asked me to volunteer, that would have been different. But he tricked me—lied to me. And I almost got killed. Family doesn't do that to each other.


                                                                        ++++

{via}
I hate him for saving me. I hate him because now I owe him. It doesn't matter that I saved his life, too. Maverick risked his life for me and all I did was give him some of my blood.  
He can't be my enemy anymore. We’ve crossed the line now and we can’t come back. The one person I’ve always hated turns out to be the one person who mattered. He was there for me when nobody else was.
The truth is that I misjudged him. Riley is right; Maverick and I are more alike than I was willing to see. Now I know that I was wrong. There, I said it. I was wrong. I was wrong about Maverick, wrong about me, wrong about everything. And it scares me. Because if I misjudged Maverick, then I am probably misjudging someone else.
Erik’s words come back to me: “You can’t be objective… That’s what will get you killed.”
I swallow. Maybe I need to reevaluate my friends. One of them is betraying us, after all. 


Excerpts are my property. Steal them and I'll have to track you down. And I really don't want to do that.



Emily
xoxo

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Oh, I love this! Especially the last one. The last one is the bestest! I have no idea what your book is about exactly, but I know it's going to be good just by these two pieces. Keep doing that thing when you just sit down and write! Because it's working. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! That means a lot! :D

      ~Emily

      Delete
  2. Letting go of perfection is the key to completing a first draft. It's a hard thing to do for a lot of writers like myself, but I find that the more I write, the better I get at letting go of perfection and just writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the threat at the end. It's sooo you Em. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts