Unleash Your Inner... Whatever

3:57 PM




I've recently discovered that I'm a naturally organized person. Planners and three-ring binders are my best friend. I like to have my week planned out--it helps me stay focused and motivated. Don't get me wrong, I like spontaneity. But I still like to have a general idea of what is going down. 
This week was especially good. I made a new recipe for dinner each night this week, had a major breakthrough with the plot of my novel, and got back into taking pictures (alas, my picture a day goal was forgotten...). When I tried to turn my camera on today, though, the lens zoomed out and the screen went black. I tried everything. It appears as if my camera is no more. I almost cried.

But I digress.

What I've learned in the last week is that there is a lot of creativity bubbling under my surface. I just have to let it out.
Corny, I know. Maybe even a little bit hipster. I hope not.

It's true, though. I think a lot of people have a creative side (then there are unimaginative people who have no creativity whatsoever). Whether it's writing, painting, cooking, design, music.... Whatever.... There's an artist waiting to be acknowledged. I'm learning that there are a myriad of things that I want to try to do. Writing is just the beginning. I want to create all sorts of beautiful things (painting is pretty much off my list. I have come to accept that I can't draw or paint to save my life).

So this is my challenge to you: Unleash your inner writer, baker, painter, whatever. Try something this year that you've always wanted to try. You might just discover that you're amazing at it and love it. You never know until you try. Personally, I'm going to try my hand at cake decorating. Even if the cake looks terrible, there's a 50/50 chance that it will still taste good. Right?



Emily
xoxo

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Terrific post, Emily! And have fun with your cake decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I agree. Unleash your inner whatever! Don't stay hidden within what you think is "normal". You never know what unique talents and joys you will find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a major breakthrough with the plot of my next WIP, as well. Yay for plotting breakthroughs! I agree that trying new things is the best way to unleash your creativity or hidden talent. I never thought I would enjoy sewing, but when I tried it two years ago, I loved it. I never thought I would love running, but four years ago when I tried it, I surprised myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your plot breakthrough--they really are the best!

    It seems that whenever I try something that I don't think I'll like, then I end up liking it, too. That's life, I guess!

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the message here (and that awesome MLK quote as well). Yes we all do have an "inner-whatever" inside of us just begging to be released. Great blog and wonderful writing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts