Beautiful People :: Author Edition

2:19 PM




Today I'm linking up with Sky's Beautiful People meme. This month, I get to talk about myself as a writer. Thinking over these questions really helped me; I firmly believe that self-examination is one of the best things we can do to grow. It also helped me remember why I write and how in love I was with writing when I first started. For a few years, I kind of let writing fall to the side. But now I'm back on it again. And it feels so good.

Now to the questions.


1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a 'writer'?
That depends. I wrote my first story when I was five years old. It was called 'The Princess Who Went to School and Made New Friends'. And guess what--it didn't have much to do with the title. The princess got kidnapped by a witch on the way to school, then got locked in a tower. A prince rescued the princess and then they lived happily ever after and had little princes and princesses (really, that's what I wrote). I didn't consider myself a writer until I was about thirteen or fourteen. That's when the writing fever got a hold of me.

2. How/why did you start writing?
I started out a lot like Jo March in Little Women. After I wrote the princess story (and learned how to write more words than 'and' and 'the'), I scribbled out plays for my friends and I to put on for our parents (we never did). One day, I thought, 'Eh, why not see what it's like to write a story?' I was hooked. Countless stories were started and I realized that I liked story-writing better than script-writing. When I was fourteen, I decided that I didn't want to write simple stories anymore--I wanted to write a novel. The rest, as they say, is history.


3. What's your favorite part of writing?
Writing is a way for me to express myself. I may not be the best at saying things with my mouth, but when I grasp a pen, the words come easily. I really love that about writing. My favorite part about the art  of writing is character development. Inventing quirks and a backstory is easy for me. It's so fun. The worst part is knowing that none of your characters are real.


4. What's your biggest writing struggle?
Getting the words flowing. I get so excited when ideas swim around in my head. But then I sit down to write and stare at the computer screen for what seems like an eternity. Once I actually start writing, the words come faster. It's just that first plunge that takes a while.

5. Do you write best at night or day?
Either right after breakfast or after supper. Nighttime is my ideal time, though. When I really get going, I stay up waaay too late.

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)
It looks like this....

 A little messy, but hey--it's messy with notebooks, pens and research books so that's okay. My keyboard is also there in case I come up with a song idea.
Plus, when I turn around....
Books. Lots of books. Thanks to my mom, I have a library in my basement.
There are about 15 bookshelves full of books.
It's amazing.


7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
That depends. I've only finished two first drafts. One was written in a month, the other took me about five months to write.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?
Just like the last question, it depends. I prefer to focus on one project at a time, but sometimes other ideas sneak up on me. Usually what I do it start plotting out other ideas while I'm writing/editing my current project. It works pretty well.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
As I was telling my mama yesterday, 'I love to make my characters suffer.' She replied with a raised eyebrow. 'That's horrible.' I tend to go somewhere in between. Personally, I get mad when I get emotionally invested in a book and the ending is super depressing--usually without needing to be. Bittersweet endings are the best and most realistic. You know: a terrible thing happens, character's die, but it eventually works out in the end and the characters who survived the author's massacre get a chance at leading an okay life.

10. List a few authors who've influenced your writing journey.
C.S. Lewis, Suzanne Collins, L.M. Montgomery... The main author would probably be Suzanne Collins. Something about her writing style in The Hunger Games grabbed me. It came across as real. Her writing made me realize that the best writing isn't always flowery prose. The best writing is raw, felt somewhere deep inside you. I decided that I wanted my writing to be that way.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
Yes, but I'm picky about who I let read my writing. My writing buddy is my cousin, David. Him and I have stayed up late texting about all things writing. When I run into a plot hole, I text him quick. We critique each other's novels and honestly, I don't know what I would do without the feedback.

12. What's your ultimate writing goal or dream?
To get published. Okay, that isn't my ultimate dream. My crazy writing dream is to one day see one of my novels turned into a movie. That, my friends, would be stupendous.

13. If you didn't write, what would you want to do?
Read more. Spend more time on voice and piano--and music in general.

14. Do you have a book you'd like to write one day but don't feel you're ready to attempt it yet?
Yes. It's along the lines of a memoir. This isn't necessarily a book that I want to publish. It's just a piece of fiction based off the childhood 'adventures' that my friends and I had. Problem is, my writing skills aren't up to this yet. In order to say what needs said, I want to have a little more experience and knowledge under my belt. Because this story has to be perfect.

15. Which story has your heart and won't let go?
My Beginning of the End Trilogy. I've tried to put this story on the backburner countless times, but I can't stay away from it for too long. The characters haunt me. Scene ideas come to me at any given time. I won't be able to truly work on any other writing projects until this trilogy is finished.




Anyone else linking up?

Emily
xoxo

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I'm with you on #8. I can only work on one thing at a time. But if something comes to me, it gets written down. And I usually "mental write" other projects while I'm working on a main project.

    I also love your answer for #9! Bittersweet endings are much more realistic. After all, something devastating happens in the climax, and in the ending we're usually still living in its aftermath. So bittersweet works.

    Your writing buddy is your cousin? That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, "mental writing" -- I do that all.the.time. I've been doing that non-stop while I'm editing my other novel.

      Yes, it is cool! I'm so thankful for him!

      Delete
  2. Nothing better than starting off like Jo March. And your first story sounds classic. Lovely answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with all those books in your basement. You're so fortunate to have that. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really comes in handy when I need to research something for writing--I don't have to take the time to go to a library or order a book :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      ~Emily

      Delete
  4. Getting the words flowing when I've just sat down to write can be really difficult. I think it's mainly fear of imperfect writing that holds me back, but like you, as soon as I take that first leap, my writing often works out. I love your home library. ALL THOSE BOOKS! I also have quite a few books in my basement. I really want to write a memoir too, a family history memoir to be precise. I think my family really has an interesting history, and I would love to take the time to research and write it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm so focused on getting my writing perfect the first time that it takes me forever to just write and not worry about the imperfections.

      That's a good idea! Researching can be a pain, but I love it :D Nothing like learning history while you write.

      ~Emily

      Delete
  5. Great answers; I still need to do this one myself!

    I can SO agree with your third answer! It's why I both write fiction and keep my blog going! It's such a good outlet for self-expression (and self-discovery!)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need to do it!

      Yeah. Writing isn't just something I enjoy anymore; it's something I have to do.

      ~Emily

      Delete
  6. *cue insane jealousy over your library* That's AMAZING. You're living the dream of every writer/reader. XD Good luck with your Beginning of the End trilogy! Even tho they can be a pain when you want to write other things, I love stories that just won't leave you alone. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is living the dream! :D

      Thank you, I need all the luck I can get! I think stories that stick with you usually turn out the best, because you put your whole heart into writing. So hopefully this trilogy will be good!

      ~Emily

      Delete
  7. FIFTEEN BOOKSHELVES. THAT IS AMAZING. I AM JEALOUS.

    I tried to write a play once, but it just wasn't my thing and I gave up after one measly page. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to playwrite again about a year ago and gave up soon after. Writing books is so much more fun!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      ~Emily

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts