Brick Wall

3:12 PM


I did it.

I quit NaNoWriMo.

Don't get me wrong, I love the story I chose to write. But as I was writing, I was hit with a ton of inspiration for my main novel, Beginning of the End. This is the novel that I want to publish someday. So I couldn't just ignore the inspiration, now could I?

After dealing with feeling like a horrible writer for quitting, I pulled out Beginning of the End. And I got so much writing done. It's incredible. I stayed up till midnight or later almost every night, furiously typing away.

Two or three weeks later, my creative juices stopped flowing just as soon as they had started. Whoopee.

What do you do when you run face-first into a brick wall (writer-ly speaking)? I've come up with a few things that help. Usually.


Take a break
Sometimes it's good to take a break. 
Your brain can only work so hard before it explodes and oozes out your ear.



Read a book
Read a book with good writing--don't read twaddle. Look at how the experts write.
But don't let that snuff out your own voice.



Create a soundtrack
Writing just isn't the same without music (for me, at least).
Search for new music and create a playlist for your novel.
Every hero needs a theme song, you know.



Browse pinterest
Okay, so this is a dangerous one. Sometimes you get onto pinterest and never.get.off.
Just remember that once you find some inspiration, you need to write.



Go to a quiet place and daydream (my favorite)
What helps me the most is when I go off by myself and daydream about my novel.
Close your eyes and imagine everything about your novel,
even things that you don't plan on writing down. 
It helps. I promise.



Keep writing
This one is a no-brainer. Personally, I hate it when people tell me to 'just keep writing!'
Yes, I know that I need to. No, I don't want to. 
But we need to keep writing. It might be horrible. It might not advance the plot.
It will help, though. Eventually.




What do you do to get over writer's block?

Emily
xoxo



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Fan.Tastic.

    This is such good writing advice; I utilize many of these myself, although I DESPERATELY need to start reading novels more often.

    I'm glad you were able to do so much writing even if you had to quit your NaNo project. Sometimes that happens and it's perfectly okay! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I really need to be reading more novels, too. It's been far too long since I've read a good book!

      -Emily

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts