Beautiful Books::October

Saturday, October 11, 2014



First off--doesn't the word 'October' look so pretty? It's one of my favorite months.
Anyway...
Today I'm going to link up to Sky's Beautiful Books meme.
What is it? This is a 3 month link-up event that is designed to help writer's get 
to know their novel. It was created with NaNoWriMo in mind--which is good, because I am so lost with my NaNo novel for this year. So here goes.



1. What came first: characters or plot idea? Are you a plotter or a pantser?
The plot came first. Then it was followed by some of my favorite characters. I'm usually a panster, but this year is different--I actually know what I want to happen with this story. It's a nice feeling.

2. Do you have a title and/or a "back-cover-blurb"?
The working title is called "Chase", because the main character's last name is Chase and they are chasing down her dad. It's really lame, I know. But it's the only title I could come up with, and I'm the type of person who would rather have a lame title than no title. Here's a little synopsis:

Emma Chase never expected two strange men to be waiting in her living room when she came home from work. And she never dreamed that they would claim to have information on her missing father. When these strangers ask Emma to come with them, she goes against her better judgment and trusts them. In a matter of hours, Emma learns that her father works for the CIA and that her life is in danger. She is instantly relocated with two CIA agents to keep tabs on her. What Emma doesn't know is that the CIA hasn't been completely honest with her...

3. What wordcount are you aiming for when your novel is finished?
I'm hoping for at least 80,000 something. Let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we?

4. Sum up your novel in 3 sentences.
Do run on sentence's count??
Quiet Emma is forced to live the life of a spy when she learns that her father is a CIA agent. Thanks to her father's latest mission, there are people out to kill Emma. So Emma's father asks two fellow agents--Kade and Lucas--to watch over his daughter--or so Emma is told.

5. Sum up your characters in one word each.
Emma Chase - misjudged
Kade Hagan - driven
Lucas Backer - humorous

6. Which character are you most excited to write? Tell us about them!
My favorite character is Kade Hagan. He is one of the two agents that were sent to live with Emma. Kade is used to dangerous missions, so he isn't too thrilled when he is assigned to 'babysit' some girl. The only thing that consoles him is knowing that he isn't just babysitting--there's much more going on. What I love about Kade is that he's dark and mysterious--partly because of his work, partly because of his past. He is such a complex character. I think he's going to be fun and challenging to write.

7. What about your villain? Who is he, what is his goal?
Hmm... I haven't made it that far in my plotting. Some could say that the CIA plays a bit of a villain, since they are holding out on Emma. But my main bad guy has yet to make an appearance.

8. What is your protagonist's goal? And what stands in the way?
What Emma wants more than anything is to find her father, who has been missing for five years. She isn't satisfied with the message he sends through the CIA--she wants to be with him and make sure he leaves his CIA days behind him. But before that can happen, Emma needs to be out of danger and her father needs to finish his mission.

9.What inciting incident begins your protagonist's journey?
Emma is sent to live with two CIA agents, because her father's work has put her life in danger.

10.Where is your novel set? In a small town outside of Baltimore (I think... I have yet to decide).

11. What are three big scenes in your novel that change the game completely?
i.) In the prologue--before Emma moves in with Kade and Lucas--we learn that Emma's father went missing on his last mission, and hasn't been heard from since. The CIA is worried that he may have went rogue--so they want to track down Emma in hopes that they can use her to draw her father out.
ii.) Emma gets some news about her older brother, who is a Navy Seal. Later on, she realizes that Kade lied to her about the news.
iii.) Emma finds out that the CIA has been lying to her about finding her father.

12. What is the most dynamic relationship your character has? Who else do they come in contact with or become close to during the story?
That would probably be the Emma-Kade relationship (or as I like to call it, "Kemma"). They can't stand each other at the beginning of the novel. Like, really can't stand each other. Emma thinks Kade is a grumpy, cold-hearted Spook. Kade thinks Emma is a naive girl that he has to babysit. Both are wrong (except for Kade being grumpy--Emma is right about that). Throughout the novel, they start to realize that their first impressions weren't accurate and learn to actually get along.

13. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
Emma gains confidence that she never had. She also learns that she can do some major butt-kicking when she needs to.

14. Do you have an ending in mind, or do you plan to see what happens?
I have an ending in mind, though there are still a few loose ends that I don't know how I'll tie up. My plans will probably change by the time I get to the last chapter, though (they always do).

15. What are your hopes and dreams for your book? What impressions are you hoping this novel will leave on your readers and yourself? (This is your mission statement, one you can look back on when the road gets tough.)
I originally thought of this novel as a TV show script, but was too lazy to write it out in script form (I hate writing scripts. a lot. novels are easier). The thought of it ever becoming a TV show is awesome, but pretty near impossible (so I console myself with picking out a dream cast and thinking of a soundtrack). What type of impression do I want it to leave? I don't know. I guess I want people to finish it thinking it was a really good book that should be turned into a movie. I really want it to be a page turner. Hopefully the characters will be real and stick with people.


Are you going to do the Beautiful Book link-up? What about NaNoWriMo--anyone else doing it this year? 

Emily
xoxo

16 comments:

  1. YAY! You are doing NaNoWriMo!!! Me too! You have a lot more figured out about your story than I do, lol! Sounds like it should be fun to write! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, November can't come fast enough!! The closer I get to November, though, the more I realize how little I have planned for this novel.. lol

      ~Emily

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to do a post like this for a while now so I might hop on this train! I'm doing NaNo this year! Im SOOOOOO excited! Like, I've never been this excited about a project before.

    Your book sounds good! I can't wait to hear about it throughout the writing process:) Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor this November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hop on the train! :D

      Thank you! May the odds be ever in your favor as well :)

      Delete
  3. Espionage? Ooo... Really intrigued.

    And I'm doing NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet you, fellow NaNo writer! :)

      Delete
  4. OOh. I found this through the blog link up at Notebook Sisters. That sounds really interesting. In fact, I'd love to read it when you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I actually know what I want to happen with this story. It's a nice feeling."
    This made me laugh so much, because I've felt the same way. Some of my stories have been soo aimless. About Chase as a title - I actually think it kinda works because of the pun. You have an interesting plot, mainly because a lot of people are being lied to and your protag has to figure out the truth! I do actually wonder what happened to her Dad. O_O

    I want to learn script writing at some point, but I definitely prefer novel writing as I love describing stuff. :3 But maybe I'll take a Groupon course of something, it's a great skill to have. It would be cool if it became a TV show! Anyway, good luck with your novel, it sounds like it'll be a thrilling read.
    (Oh by the way, I found this from the link-up when I posted mine. It's so cool that we're all kinda taking the same pledge. XD )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the input on the title--I really appreciate it. And I'm glad to hear that my plot sounds interesting :D

      I started out writing scripts when I first got into writing. But then I wanted to try writing a novel... and it was all downhill from there. I never tried script writing again.

      Good luck on your novel!

      ~Emily

      Delete
  6. When I was much younger, I had an idea of a book called Chasing Mercedes because the MC's name was Mercedes and it was a road-trip style book. Ha, so your title isn't that cringe worthy, I do like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sounds intriguing. Spies are one of my favorite things! Also, I love that you think of your characters as "Kemma"!

      I'm doing NaNoWriMo!!! *waves to be seen over the crowd" =)

      M Beautiful Books Post!

      Delete
  7. The idea of a girl living with agents is SO good. I love it, seriously, and I'd love to read about it! It sounds like something, I'd write, too.

    Your characters each sound so intriguing, too, especially Emma and Kade! Lucas, too, because judging by your one word about him, he's going to be comic relief, which is ALWAYS fabulous. Overall, I really love this concept and I can't wait till it comes out in stores! ;) I seriously hope you have a GREAT time writing it. Good luck with NaNo, and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! That really means a lot! I think I will have a great time writing it--November can't come soon enough :D

      Good luck with NaNo to you, too!

      ~Emily

      Delete
  8. The CIA and a missing dad, this sounds really thrilling! The characters sound interesting too, especially Emma and her desire to find her dad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)