Beautiful People :: July Edition

Monday, July 21, 2014


For this month's edition of Beautiful People, I decided to do the main (and my favorite) character of my novel Beginning of the End. Like all my characters, Brynn seems to have a mind of her own. One thing I know about her for sure: she is motivated by bitterness. Her parents were murdered when she was younger, so she was raised by her two teenage cousins, Erik and Vince--who knew nothing about raising a little girl, let alone have the time to raise her. As she gets older, war rages around her and her friends come home in body bags. She has a lot to be bitter about. And she's dangerous because of it.

That's the backstory. Now, I introduce Brynn Mason....
.










1) What's their favourite food? (Bonus: favourite flavor of chocolate!) Coffee flavored ice-cream. She has an obsession with anything that has coffee in it.

Bonus: Mocha, obviously (remember the coffee obsession??).

2) What do they absolutely hate?
When someone tells her she can't do something. What she hates even more is when she literally can't do something, usually because of her small size. And she hates being wrong. Oh goodness, does that bug her to death.

3) What do they enjoy learning about?
Every small detail about her parents is like good food for Brynn. She wants to know what their voices sounded like, what they liked to eat, how they walked.

4) Who is the most influential person in their life?
Even though Brynn never knew her father, he motivates her and keeps her thinking. She compares herself to her father and asks what he would have done if he was in her situation. It doesn't matter what living people say--if Brynn thinks her father did something a certain way, she'll do it that way, too.

5) What is their childhood fear?
Brynn was a carefree child. She felt completely safe, knowing that her cousins were there to protect her from every scary thing in the world. But all that ended when Riley's dad came home in a body bag. Ever since then, Brynn is terrified that everyone she loves will be taken away from her.

6) What is something they have always secretly dreamed of doing, but thought impossible?
//"Impossible" isn't a word in Brynn's vocabulary. She dreams of doing many things without ever doubting that they will happen. As she gets older--and the fighting rages--she begins to accept that she will most likely never make it past 21 years old.

7) What is something they are impractically afraid of?
Being alone (not the "solitude" type of alone--she loves to be alone to straighten out her thoughts). Brynn hates the thought of being alone in the world--her worst fear is that something will happen to her family and friends. Maybe the root of this fear is the murder of her parents...

8) Are they a night owl or a morning person?
Night person, definitely. Brynn feels most alive at night, especially when she's out in the woods and under the stars. As far as mornings go, there better be a pot of coffee made or else the whole day is ruined.

9) Do they say everything that pops into their head, or leave a lot unsaid?
When it comes to matters of the heart, Brynn tends to keep things locked inside--though sometimes she opens up to her best friend, Riley. Things that shouldn't be said (like smart comments and jeers) usually slip out and leave Brynn feeling like a terrible human being.

10) What are their nervous habits?
She repeatedly bites and licks her lips, often without realizing it. When she's focusing intently on something, she sticks out her tongue.



Are any of you doing Beautiful people?
I'm on a writing high this summer. It's so nice ^_^

Emily
xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Yay for writing highs! x) I'm about to start writing again, and I'm quite excited. There's a serious thrill starting a new story, I reckon. But anyway! I loved reading this! And also, the name Brynn is fantastic. I'm with her on the coffee completely. If it has coffee in it = let me eat it all now.
    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always loved the name Brynn and when I decided to start this story, the name just fit my character perfectly.
      You're very welcome--I love doing Beautiful People!

      -Emily

      Delete
  2. Yup, I did! It's here if you wanna have a look. Oh yes, I love it / hate it when that happens.

    Love the coffee obsession! And the idea of mocha chocolate. Mmmm. Awesome name, too! #8 sounds very much like me, I love the nighttime quiet and the stars and all of that.

    What's the book about?

    the writeress @ barefoot in the snow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It's a dystopian book, set in a future U.S. where a civil war is raging. I plan on doing a post about it soon :)

      -Emily

      Delete
  3. I love dystopian! Oh, I'll be looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're getting some writing done! I wish I could get a writing high. D:

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just worried that it won't last too long.... haha

      Delete
  5. Coffee flavored ice cream sounds appealing to me, but any kind of ice cream sounds good to me. :) Brynn is such a cool name! She sounds very complex and I'm intrigued by some of the answers.

    What is the novel about?

    Carly @ Books and Etc

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)