The Block

8:48 PM


Writing. I love it. But if I'm being honest, I have to admit that while I love writing, I seem to have a love-hate relationship with it--translation: I love writing, but it hates me.

Writer's block. Yup. I have it. 

pronunciation | skrip-‘tUr-E-ent

There are a million story ideas floating around in my head (most of them happen during the middle of class. go figure), but when I try to put them down, the words are sticky and flat and just.... lifeless.

I remember a line from the Emily of New Moon series by L.M. Montgomery (some of my favorite books ever) that said something about how great the chasm is to get what you picture in your mind on paper.

I'm there right now.


So to fight off this writer's block, I create story boards on pinterest (which helps a little, but *ahem* is a HUGE way for me to procrastinate) and research ways to conquer the block. What it comes down to though, is the fact that nothing I write is good enough for me. There is some little part of me that expects everything I write to be a work of art that flows off the paper--and that isn't going to happen. Good writing comes from practice, from just sitting down and writing. Maybe the best way to beat writer's block is to write even when you hate what you write. Because otherwise, you won't ever get better.

It's something to ponder.


What helps you conquer writer's block?

Emily
xoxo


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hi Emily, it's so nice to see you blog again!

    I've been struggling with Writer's Block for about a month now. IT IS THE WORST. However, thanks for reminding me that I should also keep writing anyway. I needed to remember that. :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm back! :D

      This time my writer's block is really bad. I'll write about two good sentences, and then it's all downhill from there.

      Delete
  2. Hello. I just found your blog. :)

    I actually had writers block not to long ago. Luckily, I finally got over it. I also wrote a post over at my blog teenwordsofsteel.blogspot.com on tips to overcoming what I call, 'brain strikes'. :) Of course I am pretty new to writing, so it might not be the most professional post ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Thank you. I'll go check it out! :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts