Excerpts from "Beginning of the End"

2:19 PM




"It isn’t the first time that I’ve had nightmares about the day my parents were killed; the dreams come and go. I remember being a little girl and waking up screaming from the nightmares. Vince had to hold me until I fell back to sleep. I shiver. Why do I even have the nightmares? I was too little to remember anything. So why does it bother me?"











 "I scowl into the fire and try to think of something else, anything else. But my mind stays focused on the fighting and death that has become my life. First, it started with my parents; then it grew. Everyday, people I know and grew up with come home in body bags—if there’s anything left of them. Just once, I want to know what it feels like to have some type of security, to know that I’ll see my friends come walking through the front door at the end of the day." 



One of the first things I do when I have writer's block is to read through my novel. It helps me get a sense of where I want to go. When I wrote the first draft of Beginning of the End, I wasn't exactly sure what motivated my main character, Brynn. But as I edit, I realize that the main thing that keeps her going is bitterness. Her parents were murdered when she was younger, and the country is ripped apart by war--people die around her everyday. Sure, Brynn has plenty of reason to be bitter. But she completely lets her bitterness take her over. And there is nothing so dangerous as a bitter heart.

Emily
xoxo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts