2013

Tuesday, December 31, 2013


My one word for 2013 was Fearless. A year ago, I decided that I didn't want to fear anything. See, I'm a pretty fearful person. I like to think that I'm brave, but I know better than that. As I like to say, the world is a scary place when you're only 5'2".

I just don't care

But halfway through the year, I realized that being fearless is a myth--I will always have fears. The real trick is to not let fear control me. I guess that the word I should have picked for 2013 was Dauntless.

So now the question is, Did I let fear control me? Was I dauntless? There were times this year where I gave in to fear. But I think that they are far outweighed by the times that I was brave.

.

I did a lot this year that I'm proud of. That's not to say that I didn't make mistakes--because I did. But I learned so, so much in 2013. I have a pretty good idea of who I am and where I want to be. I enjoyed the little things, the seemingly small--but important--moments.

smart

Most importantly, I learned to let God handle everything. I might think that I know best or know what I want, but God has my best interests in mind.


"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope, and a future."--Jeremiah 29:11

It's still something I struggle with, but everyday it gets easier to leave everything in God's hands. I feel so at peace knowing that my Savior is in charge of my life.

trust

2013 was a year of learning, more than anything else. I made big decisions and accomplished some huge things (ahem, graduating...never thought it would come...). I've said goodbye to people but also met new, amazing people. It's been a roller coaster of a year, from a new baby in the family to my pappy being diagnosed with cancer. There were good times and bad times, ups and downs. It went by so quickly--each day raced by faster than the last. But even though this year has been all over the place, I will never forget 2013. It was definitely a good year, if only because I learned so much. And while I don't want to say goodbye to 2013, I just can't wait until 2014. Because I have a feeling that it will be even better. 

Far greater things ahead

Goodbye, 2013
2014, I'm so ready

Emily 
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Emily!

    I was literally just think the same thing about the word 'fearless' yesterday. I can never not have fear but I can learn how to not let it control me. :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to embark on your first 2014 adventure with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)