It Started Last Year....

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I never really thought about all the children around the world who didn't have any parents. Of course, I knew that there were kids like that. I just never thought about it. Until last summer. My aunt decided to go on a mission trip to Haiti to work in an orphanage. Later that summer, she decided to adopt a baby girl from Haiti. That was when my mind really started to seriously think about children in orphanages around the world.

Orphans in Haiti

I remember working in the nursery one Sunday and thinking, "All these babies and toddlers are being held and loved right now. When church is over, they will be passed around by other church members. Then, they'll go home and get loved up by their parents. But there are babies and toddlers around the world who will never know what it is like to be held or loved. And it isn't fair." Now, I know that I'm old enough to realize that "life isn't fair." God places us in our situation, and God knows that there are orphans. But God calls those of us who can help orphans to go and help them. That's what God started spinning in my heart last year.

After all this happened last year, I started praying about going to Haiti with my aunt when she went to get her baby. I knew that it was going to be tough, even if it was only for about three days; I get homesick very easily--I don't like to be away from my parents. I kept praying about it, though. After a few months of praying about it, I was reaching the point where I wondered if I was ever going to get an answer. I remember praying, "Lord, just show me. And even if I can't go with Aunt Kim, let me please do something else for You."

Haiti <3

In March or April, I got a phone call from my Mee-Mee. She said that her church was going on a mission trip to Haiti, and would I like to go along? Part of me screamed, "YES!" and another part thought, "Ooo.... That sounds scary.... Maybe I'll pass." I fought with myself, wondering if this was an answer to prayer."Man oh man.... A week in Haiti? That's like... Way longer than 3 days. I'd get so homesick. And what happens if I would get sick away from home? What if something happens to me? What if the plane crashes? What if--?What if--?" A thousand "what-ifs" entered my mind in only a millisecond. I said yes, I would go on the mission trip. But I still worried about it.

Finally, I came to the point where I knew that I needed to get something settled. Sure, part of me was scared--terrified--to go. But there was a part of me that definitely wanted to go. I just wanted to make sure that this mission trip was something God wanted me to do. It definitely seemed like this was an answer to my prayer--no, I wasn't sure if I was going with my aunt to bring home the baby--but I had also prayed that God would give me an opportunity to do something for Him.

Now, let me get this straight--I realize that doing something for God could be anything. Obeying my parents is doing something for God, singing in church is doing something for God. There isn't anything that makes a mission trip bigger or better than being a witness at home, or serving at church. But I had specifically been praying that God would give me an opportunity. So when I got a call out of the blue to go on a mission trip to Haiti--well, it seemed like God was giving me an opportunity.

//

I locked myself in my room one afternoon and sat on my bed with my Bible. "Lord, this is something I'm scared to do, but I want to do it, too. Please show me if this is what You want." I remember feeling nervous. "Em, this is no reason to be nervous," I told myself. But there was a little part of me that thought, "What if this is what God wants me to do? Am I really going to leave my parents and travel to a foreign country for one whole week?" I tried to clear my mind and started to search my Bible.

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."-James 1:27

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."-Matthew 25:40

"For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many."-Mark 10:45

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."-James 4:17



But the verse that really hit me was Proverbs 3:27-28.


"Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it. Say not unto thy neighbor, Go, and come again, and tomorrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee."-Proverbs 3:27-28


God has commanded us to take care of the orphans (and the widows). No, that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone needs to go on a mission trip. There are many ways to care for orphans. Some people can adopt, some can go on a mission trip, some can give money. There are different ways to help. But we are all called to do something. I was given the opportunity to minister to orphans, and I believed--and still do believe--that I need to grasp this opportunity. I don't want to get to Heaven and hear God ask me, "I gave you the opportunity to serve me--why didn't you?" I would have to answer, "Well.... I was scared." 

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."-2 Timothy 1:7

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."-Philippians 4:13

But I was focusing on me. "Well, I can't do it." "I'm scared." "What if something happens to me?" I was fearful, and fear is the same thing as not trusting God. Why should I not trust God? He has NEVER failed me. In fact, He loves me even though I fail Him daily. If Jesus died for me, then why can't I live for Him? No, going on this mission trip isn't going to be easy for me. It will be a big step out of my comfort zone. But I am called to be a servant, and I have the opportunity to do so. Jesus will be with me every step of the way. What more could I ask for?

2 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful, I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you prayed it out!!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)