When Minor Becomes Major

Wednesday, March 27, 2013





I wouldn't say that I threw in a random character; I just thought, "hey, wouldn't it be cool if their was another side character? He will end up dying later on, but I need the drama."


Boy, did my plans change.


This character totally took over the story. I began to love this character (who is in the midst of a name change) more than my original hero. At first, I decided to write him in a little more. But now that my story is over, I'm thinking that I should completely change the story and make him the hero (and possibly make my old hero a villian?? mwahahaha being a writer is so fun! ;D)


So now, I am doing some major brainstorming. I keep laughing, though, because I have been plotting and editing this novel (my first novel, Rebel Yell) for around 5 years--and all of a sudden, everything has changed. It's really exciting... But also a little scary. I honestly can't wait to see how it turns out, though. My mind is swirling with a billion new ideas that, in my opinion, are 10 times better than my old ideas.


Do you ever have minor characters turn into the hero of your stories?


xoxo, Emily


2 comments:

  1. Okay, this happens to me ALL. THE. TIME. It's always those minor characters that I add on a whim that blossom into the best developed of the lot; I'm not sure why that happens but I like to think it's just God steering our story in the direction He wants it to go. :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! My minor characters always seem to turn into my best characters, too. And I've always thought it really cool that God can use even the stories in my head for His glory!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)