Editing.... {Blah}

Monday, March 11, 2013


Editing is tough. I think the reason I find it so tough is because I don't want to get rid of anything. Whenever I realize a scene from my first draft is unnecessary, I think, "Wait--I can't just leave it out. Because it did happen. Besides.... Look at that one-liner--it's pretty good, isn't it? I mean, c'mon, I wrote this. This book is my baby. I can't leave out this scene."

But no matter how many "amazing" one-liners that are in a scene--if the scene is unnecessary, then it needs to go. Yes, the scene will have happened in my head (am I the only one who mentally comes up with millions of novels worth of backstory??). But I can't leave it in unless it furthers the story. I don't want to bore my readers.

Wait a second--wouldn't it be pretty cool if author's published all their drafts in one special edition?? I think so. It would be like a bunch of deleted scenes. Okay, I need to stop. I'm getting too excited.


One thing that I'm trying to work on in my 2nd draft of Beginning of the End is putting more emotion into the story. My novel is about war--there's a lot of emotion in that. Problem is, I haven't been in most of the situations that my main character (or other characters) are in. Imagination plays a big part in my story-writing. But I also search my memory for emotions related to the emotions that I'm writing (that's one thing I love about writing--I can vent my feelings).


To help me out with my editing, I've been doing a ton of character sketches, so I can make sure that I know my characters as much as possible (though a few are being so... ugh, stubborn...) I love doing the Beautiful People forms. I decided to raid the archives today :)


What is their biggest accomplishment?
Brynn considers all of her accomplishments to be big. There isn't any one bigger than the other.  If other people were asked this question, they would probably say the same thing. 

What is one of their strongest childhood memories?
The day that her best friend's father died. She was eight years old when it happened, and she can still remember it perfectly.


What is their favorite food?
Brynn loves anything flavored like coffee, and she would eat coffee flavored choco-chip ice-cream all day long if she could.


Do they believe in love at first sight?
Brynn doesn't ever really take time to think about love. But whenever anyone mentions love at first sight, she always rolls her eyes. She doesn't understand how love at first sight is even possible.

What kind of home do they live in?

Brynn lives with her oldest cousin and legal guardian, Erik. He is hardly ever home, though, because he is busy being commander-in-chief of the Rebel army. Brynn doesn't mind too much--she is rarely home, either. When she is home, a middle-aged woman named Sandy cooks for her.

What do they like to wear?

Long, tan, legging-like pant, boots, a dark green shirt and a black jacket. Brynn always goes for practicality over looks, and as she is usually running through the woods, she tries to go with tighter clothing that won't catch on any branches.

What would they do if they discovered they were dying?

Brynn would run off into the woods and stay there until she quietly died by herself. 

What kind of holidays, or traditions do they celebrate?

The biggest celebration in Brynn's life is the Fourth of July. It's a yearly tradition in the Rebel camp to make a big deal out of Independence Day. The Fourth of July is the one day out of the year that Brynn dresses up and makes herself look pretty... And she realizes that she loves to look nice. 

What do your other characters have to say about them?

Everyone only has the best things to say about Brynn. Maybe a few people in the Rebel camp might say that Brynn is too quiet, but everyone loves her. Except for Maverick. He and Brynn can't stand each other and don't mind letting the world know it. But even Maverick would admit that Brynn is a good fighter.

If they could change one thing in their world, what would it be?

Brynn would get rid of the evil government, and set up her cousin Erik as the leader of the country. Then--she's sure--her life would be absolutely perfect. But on a second thought, she would be caught between asking for both of her parents to be alive. Brynn would never admit it to anyone, but she wants to be part of a family more than anything else.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you would put every single idea you have in your book if you could! haha But you are right, if you did do that it would be a longggg book... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know... hahaha. Someday, maybe I'll write an edition with every single idea. It would take about 10 years to read lol

      Delete
    2. Wow, ten years... I would hate to know how long it would take to write then! lol

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)