Old Ideas

Saturday, February 23, 2013


I've always wanted to write a novel about the Titanic. I started one a long time ago, when I first got into writing. I only got a chapter and a half into the story, the format was awful, and--to be honest--just wasn't very good. I lost interest in the story after about two weeks of working on it. Every now and then, I would come back to the story and play around with it... But nothing ever really came of it.

Until now.

I'm going to be writing a research paper on the Titanic in a little bit, so naturally, I've been researching a lot about it (obviously). The accounts that the survivors wrote are really interesting and powerful to read. It's really something to think about what happened that night. There were so many heroic men who let women and children go first (although, more weight was put on first class women & children--not all women and children).

Anyway, after all the studying, my desire to write a book about the great ocean-liner returned. I've been wracking my brain to figure out how to make the story more unpredictable (let's face it though, we all know how the story is going to end). I've been playing around with ideas more than anything else, partly because I have no solid idea what I want to do with this story, and partly because I'm working on another story right now.

Tonight, for instance, I decided to break my rule of writing the story in order and jumped ahead to the sinking of the Titanic. I think that it really helped me sort my ideas and get a feel for where I want the story to go. Not only that, by writing the most tragic, horrific scene first, I got to know my characters fairly well--because, let's face it, the true personalities of our characters come out when they're put through trials (just like real human beings).

I still have no idea what I'm going to call this novel (right now, it's saved in Scrivener as "Titanic Novel"--original, right?) and I really need to work out the plot--in fact, "really need" doesn't seem to cover it--I'm talking about major brainstorming, here, people.



Overall, I'm really excited about this novel. I honestly can't wait to see where it goes.

Do any of you have any current writing projects? What are some things that you've always wanted to write about?

xoxo, Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)