Concerning Editing

7:21 PM


NaNoWriMo didn't go so well for me. I guess I just wasn't ready to start writing my novel yet. I'll pick it up again once I've planned a few things out. But right now, I need to take a short break. So I decided to pull out my novel from last year and edit a little.


My NaNo novel last year was about the Civil War (historical fiction is my favorite genre--especially when it takes place during the Civil War). I knew that it definitely needed more work on the plot, but other than that, I thought editing would be pretty easy.

It wasn't.

Well, not completely. The editing process was going pretty smoothly, until I looked back over my first draft. A certain character--who wasn't supposed to play a big role--seemed to completely take over the story. I realized that I liked him much better than the hero. That isn't such a big problem--but the fact that he was taking over the story really bothered me.



Now I'm stuck. This problem character will definitely have a much bigger part in the story now--but I can't decide if I should make him the hero or not. Major plot twists always scare me a little bit. I have to learn to trust my instincts, though... Don't I??

Anyway... Writing is so stressful, I'm sure that I'll probably go prematurely gray... But writing is so worth all the crazy worrying, isn't it? Even if I never get published, writing will be worth all the trouble it causes me. Nothing worth while is ever easy.


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Writing is always worth it. Period. End of discussion.

    :)

    I've also have side characters and even minor characters grow into big giants and it's not a great feeling if they don't have that much to do with the novel. :D If you don't mind me suggesting anything, I'd say go with your gut feeling! If you can't keep that character for the story, save him and consider recasting him for a different project! I've done this too.

    Good luck!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't mind suggestions :) I think I will go with my gut feeling--the worst that could happen is that I'll have to write a 3rd draft (which I'm sure that I'll have to write anyway!) :D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts