Writing Roadblocks

4:39 PM


Plots are tricky things.

I know where my story starts. I know where it ends. But how do I fill up the middle? How do I get from point A to point B?

I'm learning that plots aren't simple--they're complicated.

All photos via pinterest

In fact, plots aren't the only thing that are hard. Everything about writing is hard. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. My characters are making strange changes to themselves--they are turning out to be completely different people from who I originally thought they were. And my plot? It's...Just... Grrr....

Does this mean that I'm going to give up? No way. When you start to get dragged down, you've got to swim harder.

I have to get to know the new people that my characters are turning out to be. I have to sit down and brainstorm (complete with nail-biting--am I the only writer who nervously bites their nails over stories??). And under no circumstances should I give up on my novel just because I've run into a road block--after all, when there's a road block, there is always a detour.

And I think I've found my detour, after weeks of  blank staring at the computer screen. My story is slowing starting to straighten out--and I think that I'm finally ready to continue with my novel.

How is your novel/writing project coming along? 


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I'm so glad you're getting over some writer's block. It always feel good to come out of that! It's always odd when our characters change too, but normally it turns out for the best.

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it usually does turn out for the better :)

      Delete
  2. I am pretty sure you are not the only writer who bites their nails over stories. Jackie bites her nails and its usually not over anything at all!! haha So you are covered. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeah, Jackie does bite her nails for nothing. haha :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts