Concerning Writing....

Saturday, September 1, 2012


Writing is a major part of my life. I'm always writing something. Whether it's something for school, a song for my band, a letter to a moved-away friend, or a novel. I just love to write. As L.M. Montgomery put in in Emily of New Moon: "Why, I have to write--I can't help it at times--I've just got to."

That's exactly how I feel. There is just something about creating characters--something about creating a world that would never have existed if it weren't for me. There are a million stories in my head, just waiting to be told, and it's up to me to tell them.

Here are the two big problems, though--it's not always easy to get my seemingly "wonderful" ideas onto paper, and I fall into terrible slumps (a.k.a. writer's block). Besides, sometimes I get depressed and think, "There is no way that my books are ever going to get published."

But no one ever said that writing was easy.

The beauty of writing is just what I was saying before: There are lives and worlds counting on me to to tell their story. And whether I get published or not, I love writing--I can't help writing. So I'm going to keep writing, no matter what. Because I have to.


After writing this, I feel more determined than ever to finish my current novel, Beginning of the End (working title), and get to work on book 2. Writing is fun, no matter how much it stresses me out ;) (Hmm. I just realized that I haven't given a proper explanation of my novel here. Wow. I feel pretty worthless.)

Beginning of the End is a futuristic novel about what happens when a society gets careless and gives their government too much power. No one really knows what is going on, except for a bright young man named Peter Mason. When he starts voicing his opinions, people listen--and the Rebels are born. The Rebel army is only about 200-400 strong when the Government gets scared of the Rebels and kills the leaders--Peter and his young wife. But killing the leader of the rebellion doesn't kill the spirit of the rebellion, and Peter's teenage nephew takes control of the Rebels--and Peter's orphaned, baby daughter.

Years pass and the Rebels grow in numbers, technology, and spirit, though it doesn't make their fight any easier. The Government has sworn to totally obliterate the Rebels, who have resisted and humiliated them. But Peter's grown-up daughter, Brynn, isn't daunted by the Government in the least. She joins up with the best of the Rebel fighters, and gives the Government yet another person to worry about.

{Excerpt from Beginning of the End}
                                                  *******

 “I would try to remind you of carefree times,” I said, “but we don’t have any. All our lives, we’ve only known pain. We live with the reality of death hanging over us. We see our friends buried, our families torn apart. We fight for survival, and yet it always leads to more death. We’ve never known happiness, Riley. We’ve never had a carefree day in our life. Everything is full of hate. And yet—when I’m with you, it doesn’t seem like life’s so bad. I guess all we really need to remember is what your dad was always telling us—laugh when you want to cry, pray when you want to curse, and love when you want to hate.”



{This excerpt is my property. So please don't steal it. Because if you do, that gives me the right to chase you down. And I don't really want to do that. Honest.}






4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, that title is chilling!!! From what I read it sounds like your book (the beginning of the end) is combination of Hunger Games and the Eragon series, which I personally think would be an awesome combo!
    And there are some times where you just HAVE to write. Though usually for me it comes out raw, brutally honest, and horrendously dark and twisty. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm actually a little worried that people will think that I stole my ideas from the Hunger Games. But I started writing this book about a year before I ever read the Hunger Games. Go figure :p
      Haha, brutally honest books are the best!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. I love the excerpt! Your dialogue flows very smoothly. And your book sounds so interesting. I'm sure fans of The Hunger Games would love it (including myself). You better try to get it published! The title is very intriguing also. =)

    I feel the same way about writing. I have to do it. But sometimes I just think I'm not good enough at all. Thanks for sharing this post to remind me to keep going! I love this quote:

    "There are lives and worlds counting on me to to tell their story. And whether I get published or not, I love writing--I can't help writing. So I'm going to keep writing, no matter what. Because I have to."

    God bless,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really means a lot :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)