Sherlock

8:24 PM

I love reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories about Sherlock Holmes. So when I found out that BBC made a tv show placing Sherlock in modern times, I had to check it out.





How does one describe Sherlock (beyond the word spectacular, of course)?

In a word... Amazing.


As I already said, Sherlock is set in modern-day London. The episodes are fairly close to the real stories, though there are some changes made--but not enough to really bug me.



What I Like: First off--a big reason for loving this series is because of Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Sherlock Holmes. He just is Sherlock--he plays the psychopath perfectly. And you can't have a Sherlock who isn't a psychopath, now can you?

If you want a show that keeps you guessing until the end... This is it. The mysteries keep you on the edge of your seat, partly because there is a lot going on, and partly because you are in awe of Sherlock's massive brain. Both seasons end with some of the greatest cliffhangers of all time. You'll be crying for the next season as soon as the ending credits start. Trust me.

The characters are amazing. I can't count the times my best friend and I have sighed over Doctor Watson, who is probably the best part of the show. Watson is sweet, funny, sacrificial... The type of friend you want to have. Sometimes I can't help but wonder why he would stay around Sherlock (Sherlock acts like a jerk sometimes), but if anything, Doctor Watson is completely loyal.

What I Don't Like:  There are three things that bug me about this show: 1.) The Lord's Name is taken in vain. At first, there wasn't a lot of swearing in the show, but as it went on, they threw some more of it in. 2.) Because Sherlock and Dr. Watson live together on Baker St, a lot of people assume that the two are "together". They aren't, of course--in fact, Dr. Watson gets upset that people assume that--but I still get a little annoyed about that. 3.) In Episode 1 of Season 2, there are a few inappropriate scenes with a woman that Sherlock is trying to catch. You might want to fast forward through them.


Sherlock is one of my favorite tv shows. I can't wait until the third season comes out--the cliffhanger at the end of season two was really a killer. Until then, I'll keep re-watching the episodes, because I learn something new each time. And the music... the music is pretty sweet :)

I recommend this show to people over the age of 12 (though everyone is different). And my rating?? I give it  4.5 out of 5 stars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Sherlock: Shut up.
Detective Lestrade: I didn't say anything.
Sherlock: You were thinking. It's annoying.
~~~~~~
Detective Lestrade: Wait, where are you going?
Sherlock: I just need to, uh, talk about the rent —
Detective Lestrade: But I still have questions for you!
Sherlock: Oh, what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.
~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock: You're insane.
Moriarty: You're just getting that now?
~~~~~~~~~
Moriarty: We're just alike, you and I. Except you're boring.
~~~~~~~~~








You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've heard so much about this show, but yes, the one thing I don't like hearing about is that so many people make them gay. SHERLOCK HOLMES WAS NOT GAY! ARG, it irks me so bad!!!!

    I will have to watch this show, though. Sherlock Holmes has been on my brain all summer, and while I love Basil Rathbone's portrayal of him best, I'm actually open to Benedict's version. Which is big, because I usually don't like seeing other actors besides Basil play my favorite character (including Robert Downey Jr). But this show actually interests me, so it's something!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's the main thing that bugs me :/

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts