Movie Review: The Hunger Games

11:21 PM

-there are spoilers, so beware-



The Hunger Games rated PG-13
Starring:
Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen

Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark

Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne

Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy

Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket

Lenny Kravitz as Cinna

~~~~~~~

I couldn't wait to see THG movie. I was practically jumping up and down when I went to see it (actually... I think I did). I was a little worried about how violent it was going to be, but it wasn't that bad. In fact, I didn't think it was as intense as it could have been. 


Reaping day was one of the most emotional scenes. Probably because I can totally relate to Katniss when she volunteered for Prim. Knowing what was coming kind of gave my this awful dread of what was coming.

^This was one of my favorite scenes.
It brought tears to my eyes. I loved how Gale came and quietly pried Prim off of Katniss. 
Gale was my hero in this scene.


I'm a fan of Peeta. No ifs ands or buts. I like Gale, but Peeta is the best. However (haha I never said anything about "however" :p), this movie made me love Gale. Maybe it's because of his *cough* insanely good looks. I don't know... It was really heartbreaking when they showed Gale watching Katniss and Peeta in the arena. Yeah. Really sad.

I was disappointed that they left of the part where Peeta says, "I'll pull off your cape if you pull of mine."
That added a little humor to the book, and it would have been a good for the movie.

I think that the casting was amazing. The actors played their parts so well.

The Career tributes were amazing. Especially Cato ;)
They did really good at playing evil teenagers. I mean, c'mon--they laughed like they we're in an amusement. But really, they were just going to kill Katniss. Then they started to argue over who was going to do it. 
Creepy. But very well portrayed.
No offence to the actors.


The fireball scene was pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that I was almost jumped out of my seat.
I had forgotten about this scene, so it just kind of freaked me out when I saw it.


Okay, so--I loved Haymitch. He was hilarious. He and Effie have such an.... Interesting relationship. They kind of remind me of a brother and sister.


Rue was perfect. She was cute, sweet, and you couldn't help but love her. 

I was on the edge of my seat during the bloodbath. 
It wasn't super violent, though I can see where it would upset more sensitive viewers. 
I think that the director could have done a better job of making the bloodbath more intense--the music should have been different, I think.

Thresh was amazing. Really amazing. He was so protective of  Rue--just a little too late.

I think the scenes of viewers in Rue's district was an awesome addition. 
It really leads on to the revolts in Catching Fire.
And I love the 3 finger salute.

^This scene. Ahhh... Any scenes with Peeta were pretty cool.

I was a little angry that when Katniss left Peeta to get the medicine, he was only asleep, instead of giving him a sedative.

And of course... Who doesn't cry at this^ scene? I'm pretty sure all three of us (my group) were crying.
So emotional. I knew it was coming--I tried to brace myself--but it was still horrible.
Which is as it should be. This scene needs to be intense.

Favorite scene in the whole movie. The End. At this point I was nearly squealing.
Peeta and Katniss belong together. If only she knew that...
But yes. This was my favorite part. 

So sweet. Though not exactly like the book. But it was okay.




I was a little disappointed when I saw the movie; it wasn't as good as the books (but hey, what movie is ever better than the book?). Now that I've had a few weeks to think it over, I'm realizing that I love the movie. Maybe it's because they bring the books to life. I don't know. But now I can't wait to see it again (August 18th, people!). 

There were some parts of the book that I wish would have been in the movie--but I understand that the director had a budget and time limit, so that's forgivable. Besides that, the books are in the first person--and the movie wasn't. I'm not sure if it would have been better to do a voice-over or not. Either way, the movie left a little to be desired.

The casting was superb. I can't get over how the characters came to life for me. 

I would recommend seeing the movie--if you've read the books.  Don't watch the movie and then read the books. You'll miss a lot if you watch first and read later. Just remember that it's PG-13--while I didn't think it was too bad, some people might. So watch with caution.

I give the movie a 4.5 out of 5 stars :)

And guess what? Catching Fire is coming out November 2013!! Awesomeness.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts