The Hunger Games: A Review

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I'm finally getting around to doing a review of the Hunger Games. I'm so happy :)




Summary (taken from Amazon.com):
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.



I really loved the Hunger Games. It's the type of book that sucks you in. I couldn't put it down. I started it on a Friday afternoon and finished it Saturday morning. It gave me a lot to think about. Suzanne Collins really likened the Capitol to ancient Rome. For instance, there were a lot of Roman names (Cato, Seneca, Caesar, Octavia, etc.) and the Hunger Games were very much like the gladiators in the Colosseum.
     The author was saying something about how entertainment-driven our society is. We all love to watch reality shows, and that's what the Hunger Games is. If you think about it, we are the Capitol (I hate to admit it, but it's true). We have everything we could ever need, and yet we always want more. And when you read about all the crazy styles and body-art in THG, it's not too much different from what we see people wearing around America. It's a little scary to think about, but I can see something like THG happen in our future.

Pros:   This book kind of opened my eyes to how much I really have. It reminded me that, sure, I might not have all the coolest new gadgets, but it's not like I'm starving, or I'm being forced to be in the Hunger Games.
 This book is really fast-paced, and a good story. I really love the characters--they were easy to love, and I felt really concerned about them. I also have to admit that a big reason I love the book is Peeta :)


Cons: THG is violent, which is understandable, considering what the book is about. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone under 12. Of course, it all depends on how sensitive you are; some 16 year-old might have a hard time reading THG, while some 11 year-old could handle it.
   Suzanne Collins was certainly not supporting killing when she wrote this book. The people who are okay with killing are the bad guys, and the people who hate killing are the good guys. THG is somewhat about what happens when a society becomes desensitized to violence, like ours is right now. We haven't got to the point where we're watching teenagers kill teenagers--but if we aren't careful, I'm sure we could end up just like the Capitol.
   Another small con--I wouldn't say that the book is extremely well written. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't superb; there were a few clunky sentences here and there.


I say that this book is definitely worth reading. If you haven't read it yet, then I say try it.

I give this 4.5 stars.






Favorite Quotes:


"You don't forget the face of the person who your last hope."--Katniss


"Stay alive." --Haymitch


"Because she came with me."--Peeta


"I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun."--Katniss











2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)