Changes, Changes, Changes

9:05 PM

"[She] collapsed to her feet, tears streaming out of her eyes. Suddenly, all else was forgotten except the body lying in front of her. 'I'm going to get out. I've got to get out.' [The lieutenant's] words haunted her. Well, he had gotten out. After all, whenever [the lieutenant] set his mind on something, he always got it."

--excerpt from Rebel Yell.

So many things change to a plot while you're writing it. New characters get thrown into my path that I can't help but love. Old characters have such sudden mood changes that I wonder who my original idea of the same character was. And then...something bad happens to one of my beloved characters. I don't want it to happen, but it does. That's how I must tell it; because that's the way it is. I'm just now getting used to the awful realization that I have to lose one of my characters. It will make the story better; and it's the only way I can tell the story. So I will persevere. My Civil War novel may look like a completely different book by the time I'm done; but it may--and probably will--be a better book, too. So, I'm going to keep working at it. No matter how many disappointments, no matter how many times I think that my writing is trash--I'll keep it at.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hey Emily!
    I love reading Civil War books, well, any war books really! I think that is so neat that you are writing one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading war books, too--mainly Civil War books. Civil war movies are great, too. I love the Blue and the Gray, and we got Gettysburg, so I'll be watching that soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts