Angry Characters and Broken Cameras

Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm getting a new camera! The reason: my other one is broken. For good. My dad found a huge dent on it--he thinks that someone stepped on it. Which makes me wonder why--and how--I could be so careless. I was really letting it get me down, when suddenly I thought, "Em, it's just a camera." It's true, losing my camera was like losing a very dear friend--and that's because it was a dear friend. Do you follow me? I took my camera everywhere. But I got to thinking: here I am, whining to my family about my camera--even taking out my anger at myself on them--when there are people starving across the world. I suddenly felt ashamed of myself; I felt like a little kid who had thrown themself on the ground, screaming, because they couldn't have a cookie. The Bible says that all of our material possessions will fade away. I can't take my camera with me to Heaven. It's just a camera. True, it takes pictures that will help me remember things for the rest of my life. But that's not important. What is important is that I have a God Who loves me, a family that loves me, and plenty of friends (I know that they love me, too). Yeah, I'm still...disappointed about my camera. But I'm going to get a new one. It's not the end of the world.

Once again, I'd like to ask you--my dear blogger buddies--to tell me your honest opinion about my story idea. To read about it, click here. I've been thinking a lot about the story later, and I'm wondering if that's "the one". Is it the novel I've dreamed of writing all my life (the best seller)? I don't think it will be a best seller. I thought about it when I was making my bed this morning. "Why can't I just forget about what my characters are saying and write my story?" I asked myself. But I saw the angry faces of my characters; dark Brynn, solemn Riley, Vin...a many other characters that I haven't met yet. Then I heard them say, "Because it's our story." So, at night as I stare at the ceiling, trying to fall asleep, I think about my characters. Last night, I thought about Riley, one of my MCs (Main Characters). He very complex--I don't quite understand him. He's one of those guys who stands in the background, watching everything; he's kind of quiet, but can get loud when he's with people that he knows real well. At least, I think. He's changed a lot since I first got the idea for the story. He used to be a wild teenager; but I like how he's turned out. I just wonder if I've truly captured him, or if he will say, "Um, that's not me." Who knows?

Well, I have an assignment for school that I must do (that means I need to get off). Also, if you could pray that when I go to the dentist tomorrow, he decides not to give me braces--I'd really appreciate that. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Praying about the dentist! I will comment on your story idea on that post but let me say - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Our prayers were answered, and my teeth are fine! Yay! No braces!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)