Who Am I?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm that girl you might see taking a picture of everything in sight. I'm the girl with the ink stains on her hands. What's all this about? I thought that I'd tell you a little about myself, so you can know me better.. So, here goes.

 I'm the oldest of three children, the fifth of eight grandchildren (on my dad's side) and the oldest of three grandchildren (on my mom's side). Being the oldest is confusing--sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I'll get back to you on that one.

I'm a country girl and proud of it! When I go to a city, I think it's cool, but after a while, I get homesick for the country. You can breath there, there are beautiful views, people are friendly and there is plenty of land to explore. I'm still finding new places in the woods behind my house! My favorite outfit is a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers (although I like to wear summer dresses). And yes, I pronounce wash warsh, and for fur--sometimes.

You could probably say that I'm kind of old fashioned. I like quite a bit of old things. For example, I like old books: The Emily Novels, and the Betsy-Tacy Novels. I also like old movies and TV shows: Robin Hood, Dodge City (both with Errol Flynn and Olivia De Havilland), and Hogan's Heroes! By the way, I totally recommend everything listed here--and if you want a clean TV show to watch, get Hogan's Heroes--my whole family loves it.

I'm a born-again Christian, and proud of it. I serve the Lord Jesus Christ, and I love Him with all my heart! My purpose on this earth is to glorify God, and I want to use my talents to serve Him. Which leads us to the next thing about me.

I'm a writer. I realized that I loved to write when I was about ten years old, although I don't know why it took my that long to see it--I had been writing since forever! I wrote my first story when I was about five years old, and I wrote a few plays from the ages of nine to ten. Now, I've got notebooks jammed into bookshelves, and loose pieces of paper scattered all over my room. One sight that never ceases to thrill me is a blank paper--it makes my fingers long for a pen, so I can start writing.

Reading is one of my biggest pastimes, next to writing. An author that I really like right now is Rosemary Sutcliffe--my last post was singing praises of her book, The Shield Ring (I still have to write a review for it). I think one of the reasons I like reading about Norsemen, Celts, and Saxons, is because I am one. Or rather, I have those groups of people in my blood (but that's another story). Not only do I read books, but I read poetry. What poetry? Shakespeare's Sonnets. Most people recoil in horror when you say the name Shakespeare. Some of my friends ask me, "Emily, how can you like Shakespeare?" Others say, "Oh yeah! Shakespeare is awesome!" I don't mind whether or not you like Shakespeare--I'll start to read some of his sonnets and think, "Okay, I didn't get that." Sometimes, it's hard to me to chew. But what can I say? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Music is a huge part of my life. When I remember as far back as I can, I remember music. My mom was always playing the piano, and my dad was always playing the radio, or Cd's. When I was a baby--one year old--my favorite piece of music was Handel's Young Messiah. I kid you not. My parents have videos of me dancing as a baby to it. Whenever it played, I danced. I won't say anymore. Now, I love music even more than before. I love to play the piano when I'm bored or stressed out, or just in a meditative mood, and singing is something that I do all the time. And I like to compose, too (not big pieces, just songs).

Some other random thought's about me: some people say I'm short, some people say I'm not. Some people say I'm crazy, other people say I just have a big imagination. I like to take pictures of anything and everything in sight, I love acting, I like to cook (and *test* it, of course), and daydream. I'm homeschooled, I have an awesome family (words can't describe them) and friends that love me, and I love back (so much it hurts).

Yep, I'm the almost fifteen year-old girl who has her nose in a book, sits at her window, runs into walls (not as much as I used to) and trips (yeah...I still do that like I used to), and sometimes even falls off her chair, the couch, and the bed in heart to heart talks with her best friend. But that's me, and I can't change. Hopefully, you know me even better now--and if there's anything else you'd like to know, just comment, and I'll write another post. Thanks for bearin' with me!

-Emily
          The slightly crazy writer-girl with a pen behind her ear, and ink on her fingers.

4 comments:

  1. You are also a dancer - the CanCan was danced many times - complete with flinging your shoes off during the middle of it. I am so incredibly proud of the woman you've become.

    Sorry I haven't been on your blog in a while. I wish I got email notifications when you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I remember that. Good time, good times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I really enjoy reading your blog and I have to agree with Aunt Kim, I am SO PROUD of the beautiful, young woman you have become. Yes, I know that I am definately prejudiced where you and your siblings are concerned. But your love and commitment to the Lord thrills my heart. Thank you for allowing me to be part of your life. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)