My Heroes

1:49 PM

I want to tell you about a group of people that were my heroes growing up--and when I think about it, I realize that they are still my heroes.

You're probably thinking that I'll say something like "police" or "firemen"--well, I'm not. These are people that I've known my whole life. And never once can I remember them yelling at me.

It's my cousins.

I remember, every night, all summer long, running up to my cousins house after dinner and asking them to watch me jump on the trampoline (I wasn't allowed to get on it without someone watching me). My cousins came out most of the time, even though I'm sure that they had things they would have rather been doing. Looking back, I was a pretty selfish little kid--and my cousins were so unselfish.

I loved to go to my cousins house to hang out with their friends. It would have freaked me out if my siblings hung out with me and my friends--and I was their cousin; I wasn't even the same age. There was at least ten years age difference. But never once did they send me home. In fact, they included me. And I never even thought that maybe they would like to be alone.

I decided that I wanted to be like my cousins because they were cool. I still think they're cool. But now, I want to be like them for another reason; and that reason is because they were so nice to me. I already said that I can't remember them yelling at me--I can't say that I've never yelled at my brother and sister. Wow. That thought just makes me stop and think: my cousins are awesome. They're the some of the best people I know. I always wanted an older brother when I was younger (and I still do)--little did I know that I practically did have an older brother--more than one, actually. And two older sisters; that's what my cousins were like. I can't begin to imagine what life would have been like without them. And I don't want to. They're all such a big part of my life. And I only hope that I can be like my heroes--my cousins--someday.

I've only told a few of the many stories that show just how wonderful my cousins are. But I think that now you--my readers--can see what my life is like. I feel like printing out this post and carrying it around so that when people tell me that I'd be fine going away to college (another loooong story) without my family, I can show this to them. Because unless anyone has had cousins like mine, no one can really know how much they mean to me. No one. And I know that my love for my cousins will grow as I get older. Even if it seems like I can't love them anymore right now. 

So here's to my cousins-- Thanks, guys. You're some of the best people that I know--and ever will know. I love you!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Awwww, Emily, that is so sweet. I love the young woman that you've become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow emily. This almost made me cry! It is very humbling to know that you can have such a big impact on someones life no matter what age you are. And I agree with your aunt kim!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts