Drew King

Monday, October 18, 2010

Here is another one of my characters in my mystery book (I still haven't come up with a name for the book yet). His name is Drew King.



Full Name:
Drew Tyler King
Meaning of Name: Manly Tile Maker
Nickname: None
Birth Place: Ridley Park, Pa (near Philadelphia)
Age: 17
Nationality: American
Hair Color: Gold
Hair Style: Short and wavy.
Shape and Features of Face: Oval shaped; nice nose; extremely straight teeth.
Eye Color: Sapphire blue.
Skin Tone: Tan.
Scars or Distinguishing Marks: None (in the book, he gets a scar right above the left eye)
Disabilities: None.
Build or Body Type: Tall; muscular; not thin, but not heavy--normal weight.
Height: 5' 11"
Gestures: Rubs his forehead a lot.
Weakness: He doesn't always take things seriously enough.
Special Abilities or Powers: He's able to talk people into doing things.
Bad Habits: Sometimes he has a hard time believing things.
Good Habits: He's responsible, and will do his job to the best of his ability.
Best Characteristic: Responsible.
Worst Characteristic: Bossiness.
Proud of: Achieving success.
Embarrassed by: Being proved wrong.
Driving Style: Experienced.
Strong Points: He will risk his life for those he loves.
Temperament: Go getter, responsible, hard to convince.
Attitude: Confident.
Weakness: Sometimes he thinks he knows everything.
Fears: Failing.
Phobias: Making mistakes that put others in danger.
Feels Vulnerable When: Things start to go wrong or not according to plan.
Motivation: People needing him.
Introvert or Extrovert: In between.
Optimist or Pessimist: A little bit of both.
Greatest Want: To be wanted/respected.
Greatest Need:To trust his instincts.


Drew King is hard to describe. Drew loves his friends and family deeply, and will do anything to protect them. And he is forever trying to keep Ellie under control--and forever failing.

Drew is the "big brother type". Meaning, he plays the role of the older brother and he does it well. He takes care of everyone--and he can be bossy (being an oldest child myself, it hurts to say that, but it's true). I just had to put a big brotherly guy in this book; that type of character is fun to write about. Plus, I've always wanted an older brother--maybe that's why I like to give my characters older brothers whenever I can (okay, I know that's why).

That concludes my post about Drew. I would have loved to put an excerpt with him in this post, but I don't have my notebook with me right now. Maybe next time....

Let me just take a sentence to say that finding names for characters is extremely difficult--for me, at least. You need to find a name that suites the character, isn't boring, and isn't in one of your other stories. Also, if one of your characters happens to have the name of someone you know (like Emily--I don't use that name, though) then everyone thinks that you are basing your character on the person you named it after. You really didn't name that character after the person you know, though, you just couldn't find any other name. Get it? I know I didn't. Sorry about that--kind of confusing, right? Yeah. Thanks for bearing with me.

3 comments:

  1. I love your character, he sounds like he would be a nice guy to have as a boyfriend(?). I won't be able to post for a while, so please don't think I'm deserting you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this character. I always have trouble coming up with names too. Your mom probably still has baby name books lying around. I bet that's a good resource for names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Kim: Thanks! I think that we actually got rid of all the baby name books after Annie was born :( But the names are getting easier to come up with.

    Sarah: I'm glad you love this character--and yes, I guess Drew would be a good boyfriend. He's really sweet in the book. Also a typical older child, and that's not too cool, but it does bring some humor into the book. No, I won't think you're deserting me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)