Here Brothers Fought...

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
















This week, I watched one of my favorite movies, The Blue and the Gray. Of course, it set me to work upon my Civil War play, Two Little Boys. I decided to turn my play into a book, and to change the title (and also the story line for that matter, but that's a different story. The book version will be much better than the play).

The Blue and the Gray is a really powerful movie, and it makes you think (the music is also wonderful. I could watch the credits over and over just to listen to the music). This is a movie that makes you laugh, cry...everything! There's two good love stories in it, some action, a little suspense (a crazy Confederate officer) and so much more.

There's a lot of characters in the movie, but I guess that the main character is John Geyser. John is from Virginia, and he lives there with his ma, pa, brothers Matt, Mark, and Luke, sister Emma, a slave, and a freed slave, who is John's friend.
Well, John is an artist and he spends his time drawing instead of helping out on his parents farm--that makes his brothers mad. So, he heads up to Gettysburg, to draw for his uncle's newspaper. His first assignment is to get pictures of John Brown's (the abolitionist) trial. It's there that John meets Jonas, who--throughout the war--becomes his best friend.
We'll fast forward a little. John's sister has gotten married, Jonas has fallen in love with John's cousin Mary, and the war has started. John's brothers are fighting for the Confederate's and his cousins are fighting for the Union. John won't fight for the South--I won't tell you why, you have to watch the movie. I love his speech when he tells his family--and he won't fight for the North--that's because he feels that he can't carry a gun against his brothers. So, going with the advice of Pres. Abraham Lincoln (he meets Pres. Lincoln in the movie), John becomes a war correspondent.

Oh, I could go on forever, but I can't say anymore or else I'll give the story away (I'm just brushing the surface). I will say that the movie is two or three hours long. But it's worth every minute of it! It's really a great movie and I recommend it to everyone. Right now, I'm going to go work on my Civil war book. I've been thinking about new titles. So far, I don't have many good ideas. My best one is taken from Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address (just a little altered): The Full Measure of Devotion. My book's about a family during the Civil war, so I thought that The Full Measure of Devotion might be a good title. I'd be glad to hear ideas!


(The picture at the beginning was taken at Vicksburg, Mississippi. It's the Pennsylvania monument, and I really liked what it said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)