"Mara: Daughter of the Nile"

6:04 PM

Okay, so, yesterday I started a book called Mara: Daughter of the Nile and finished it this morning--I couldn't put it down. It was soooo good! It's about this seventeen year-old Egyptian girl who is a slave. She gets bought from her master by another guy who wants her to spy for the queen. Now, the queen is a bad guy that nobody really like, and she's got a major ego, and even though her brother is supposed to be the king, she keeps him locked up.
Mara--the slave girl--is offered freedom if she spies for the queen and immediately says yes, even though she is told that she probably won't live through spying.
So, Mara heads off to the palace. Her master has decided that since Mara can speak Babylonian, she will be the interpreter for the king's--that's the queen's brother, the rightful heir--bride-to-be. The match was set up by his sister, though, and he wants nothing to do with his bride-to-be.
Well, while Mara is on the boat to the palace, she meets the young and handsome Sheftu.
The two become friends, never knowing that they're enemies--yep, Shetfu is trying to restore the king, who is Sheftu's best friend.
When Mara overhears the captain and Sheftu talking about their plans of the revolution, Sheftu--who did I mention is very smart, like Mara?-- finds her and asks her to carry messages from him to the king--or else.... well, let's just say that Mara didn't have much of a choice.
So, now Mara was on both sides and living the life of luxury. Sure, she had to lie a few times, but she was good at it, and nobody would ever find her out. After a while, though, Mara realizes that she wants the king back on the throne.
I won't tell you much more, or else I'd be telling the whole plot, but this is definitely a must read--like I said, I finished it this morning, but I've just started all over again. Maybe you people won't think it that good, but I sure do. It's one of my favorites!!! To buy it, go to www.amazon.com and type it Mara: Daughter of the Nile. It's by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. And if you'd like to borrow it, that might be able to be arranged, if I can bear to part with it. And, as a fair warning, I might be a little upset if it would get ruined. Anyway, you should try it out.
I'd sure like to make this into a movie!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Thanks for taking the time to comment--I read each one :)

Popular Posts